Case Study: Fressnapf
Both Arvato and Fressnapf are highly service and customer-focussed. Therefore, we feel confident that our partnership is securing a strong foothold for further growth in online retail and our omnichannel strategy.”
Top service for man’s best friend
The Fressnapf Group, the leading European specialist shop for pet supplies, has placed their trust in Arvato’s expertise since June 2015. The full services e-commerce and retail logistics service provider took over the online order processing and returns management in its new distribution center Halle-Heideloh, rebuilt specifically to suit the Fressnapf Group’s requirements.
The starting point
Fressnapf’s goal encompasses “giving everything to ensure a simpler, improved and happier co-existence for pets and mankind.” This is also reflected in the aim of Fressnapf to have the online ordered goods delivered as quickly as possible. Fressnapf places a large emphasis on its customers receiving orders through next day services. As well as speedy deliveries, a key business requirement in the pet food industry is the importance of precise management of shelf-life and batch control.
The digital business of Fressnapf’s Online Shops has steadily and positively developed since the launch in 2009. Their online business accounted for 100 million euros of total turnover in 2019.
As this segment is a major focus for the future, Fressnapf Group needs a strong partner who can guarantee the growth and globalization plans in accordance with its specific quality requirements.
It took half a year, from signing the contract to go-live, for Arvato to rebuild its distribution center in Halle-Heideloh as per Fressnapf’s requirements. From that point on, Arvato handled Fressnapf’s online orders and managed the returns with more than 400 employees. The quality of the returned merchandise is checked and either stored in the warehouse or disposed of safely. The extensive experience and expertise in returns management, their logistics network and IT systems support Arvato in its ability to offer the most cost-effective and the quickest solutions.
The 36,000 m² distribution center in Halle-Heideloh is located directly on the A9 and situated on the most important north-south main thoroughfare in Eastern Germany. Moreover, the east-west motorways A4 and A38 intersecting the A9, as well as critical carrier hubs, are located within close proximity.
In addition to an excellent transportation infrastructure, the logistics center has optimal warehouse specifications at its disposal. Bulky goods and pet food sacks are stored in a wide-aisle palette warehouse in contrast to smaller items, such as toys, which are stored in a separate area and picked with a cart.
After the go-live in 2015, an average of 5,000 parcels were shipped daily; this number more than tripled over the last years. So, a total of 1.85 million parcels were shipped last year. Approximately 12,000 items are available in the online shop.
- The Fressnapf Group was founded in Erkelenz (North-Rhein Westphalia) in 1990 and is the European market leader in pet supplies
- More than 1,600 specialist stores in 11 European countries belong to the corporate group which also trades outside Germany under the international brand name Maxi Zoo
- Annual turnover of Fressnapf Group is approximately 2 billion euros
- 18,000 parcels are dispatched daily from the Arvato distribution center in Halle-Heideloh
- Customer-specific labelling and dispatch preparation of various SKUs
- Cost-efficient and specialised warehousing in FMCG sector with shelf-life, precise deliveries and batch controls
- Upfront services such as purchasing packing material
- Transport services in B2C in Germany, Luxembourg and Poland and for B2B Europe
- Europe-wide storage and delivery of hazardous materials for B2C
- Control of inserts and additions